Question about san boot - iscsi initiator
Mahboob AliKhan
2011-02-10 06:59:39 UTC
I had a question about iscsi initiator san boot and would really appreciate if someone could help me out.

When I download iscsi initiator boot version, I can change its name but when I try to san boot that image, the iqn name I see is iqn.2000-09.org.etherboot:UNKNOWN, Is there any way I can change this name as I am having a usecase, where I need different iqn names for different booting clients.

Thanks
Mahboob
Andrew Bobulsky
2011-02-10 15:05:08 UTC
Hello again Mahboob,

You can do this fairly easily. The way I've set the initiator IQN was
through the use of a script. If you drop to the gPXE command line and
type "config" to enter the configuration menu, you'll see all the
variables listed there, and one of them should be "initiator-iqn." By
default, the initiator IQN is configured to what you're seeing there,
as "iqn.2000-09.org.etherboot:UNKNOWN"

You can set it to anything you like by specifying the value for it
from the command line or through a script. Using
set initiator-iqn iqn.2011-02.com.rulerof.desktop:iscsiboot
Alternatively, the doc suggests that you can also set the initiator
IQN using DHCP option 203 (defined here:
http://etherboot.org/api/dhcp_8h-source.html#l00399). I don't know if
I've ever done this, but it should work. Not sure off the top of my
head what you'd need to do to get it set up, though I suspect it's
easier for ISC DHCP than MS DHCP ;-)

The script-based method is more straightforward, but if you're
currently booting your client using the DHCP root-path option,
converting over to a scripted setup can be a bit of a chore.

Best regards,
Andrew Bobulsky

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Mahboob AliKhan
Mahboob AliKhan
2011-02-10 18:19:48 UTC
Thanks once again for your help, I will it out.