gPXE and Altiris PXE server (ProxyDHCP)
Viswanath Krishnamurthy
2009-12-20 21:15:20 UTC
gPXE seems to be failing with Altiris (HP deployment pack) PXE server
(proxyDHCP mode) and regular Windows DHCP server on the same network.

gPXE sends DHCP DISCOVER
Both Altiris (running on different server) and DHCP server responds with
DHCP Offer
gPXE accepts IP address from regular DHCP server and sends DHCP REQUEST and
receives DHCP ACK from DHCP server.
It now enters proxy mode and sends out DHCP request to port 67
Altiris ignores it

Onboard PXE NIC works fine (HP nic)

Next I changed the proxy_port to 4011 (PXE_PORT) and it worked fine (in
dhcp.c file). It seems like Altiris is listening on port 4011 and not 67 and
causes the problem where gPXE times out and says "No root path or file name
specified".

I know there have been recent fixes for dnsmasq which could have caused this
regression

I have the pcap files (wireshark) if one is interested but it is pretty
obvious what is happening.

-Viswa
Shao Miller
2009-12-20 22:00:59 UTC
Post by Viswanath Krishnamurthy
gPXE seems to be failing with Altiris (HP deployment pack) PXE server
(proxyDHCP mode) and regular Windows DHCP server on the same network.
gPXE sends DHCP DISCOVER
Both Altiris (running on different server) and DHCP server responds
with DHCP Offer
gPXE accepts IP address from regular DHCP server and sends DHCP
REQUEST and receives DHCP ACK from DHCP server.
It now enters proxy mode and sends out DHCP request to port 67
Altiris ignores it
Onboard PXE NIC works fine (HP nic)
Next I changed the proxy_port to 4011 (PXE_PORT) and it worked fine
(in dhcp.c file). It seems like Altiris is listening on port 4011 and
not 67 and causes the problem where gPXE times out and says "No root
path or file name specified".
Would you be so kind as to try Joshua Oreman's fix at
http://git.etherboot.org/?p=gpxe-staging.git;a=commitdiff;h=4121ed2542cc41e666a27aba122ceed48a3e70bb
? A report for this patch's compatibility with Altiris would be fantastic!
Post by Viswanath Krishnamurthy
I know there have been recent fixes for dnsmasq which could have
caused this regression
Pretty much, yes. Josh's patch cleared things up for another product.

Also, please note that there is a gPXE mailing-list. Info at:

Thanks!

- Shao Miller
Viswanath Krishnamurthy

- Shao Miller
Viswanath Krishnamurthy
2009-12-20 23:56:20 UTC
Forgot to CC alias

Thanks.. That did the trick. It works fine now with Altiris. I am sure this
fix is needed for Windows RIS and works similar to to Altiris

Can we get this fix into main gPXE tree?

Thanks,
Viswa

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Viswanath Krishnamurthy <
- Shao Miller
Itay Gazit
2010-12-08 13:54:54 UTC
Hi Viswa,

I am now facing the same problem you had with Altiris.

I think the link for Joshua Oreman's fix is broken.

Can you please send me this patch.

Thanks,

Itay
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Viswanath Krishnamurthy <