Multiple PC boot from same Windows image.
Chin Li Chock
2010-12-18 07:36:30 UTC
Hi all,

I'm very new to etherboot and i'm thinking to implement the system into my
cyber cafe and the client is using XP server is using linux.

One thing I can't find any useful information on the web is about assigning
individual "Computer Name" for multiple PC environment. Can someone here
help to point out a solution or another website?

Thanks & regards,
Max Chock.
Michael Hughes
2010-12-18 08:25:59 UTC
Hi Chin Li,

You can certainly do what you are thinking of, but you need to base
each image on the MAC address of the NIC rather than the hostname of
the OS. From how I understand PXE, a client will look for a file in
your /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg directory that is a match for its
MAC address. So if you generate a unique file for each client and name
the files using the MAC address, each workstation will boot its
pre-determined image. More on this is near the end of this post:

In the example on that page a sample boot looks like this:

Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/01-00-14-22-a1-53-85
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A80146
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A8014
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A801
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A80
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A8
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/default

So your 'default' file would contain a generic boot image (maybe a
Linux diagnostics utility), and the full MAC addresses would be
matched up with the configuration files you created for each client.
It drops a character from the MAC address each time in case you want
to use a specific image on certain types of hardware.

Good luck!
Robert Jordan
Chin Li Chock
2010-12-18 08:51:43 UTC

Thanks for your reply.

I'm attempting to boot several Windows PCs using the same image by using
AOE. In my country (Malaysia) there is actually alot of similar solution
(PXE base) but majority of them are Windows server base. I'm finding
solution on Linux server base that's what AoE pop out when i tried googling
around.

I'm still researching around internet without implementing. If someone with
experience can point me more information that will be very helpful.

Thanks & regards,
Max Chock.

Post by Chin Li Chock
One thing I can't find any useful information on the web is about
assigning individual "Computer Name" for multiple PC environment. Can
someone here help to point out a solution or another website?
Post by Chin Li Chock
Thanks & regards,
Max Chock.