Intel D510MO board, gpxe chainloading problem and gpxe problem
Jörn Rink
2010-04-01 10:44:40 UTC
i have bought the intel mainboard and i have some issues with it.

Normally, because i have no nic with gpxe, i use the chainloading
machanism with dhcp and tftp and undionlyblabla, described at the
wiki page.

This works with my foxconn, but with the new intel board, it hangs
while initializing pci devices.

After looking in the bios, i saw, that the board has gpxe implemented!!
So i decide to boot directly from gpxe.

It works, but during every boot phase, i have to press the b key, to
boot into gpxe.

I phoned intel, but until now, no answer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jörn Rink
--
Nine (not 9)
Never trust a hippie
Stefan Hajnoczi
2010-04-01 11:11:40 UTC
Post by Jörn Rink
After looking in the bios, i saw, that the board has gpxe implemented!!
So i decide to boot directly from gpxe.
It works, but during every boot phase, i have to press the b key, to
boot into gpxe.
The gPXE network boot should be in your boot device order. Have you
checked the BIOS to ensure that it will boot using gPXE before trying
other methods?

Can you send the first output exactly as it is printed? It should be
something like this:
gPXE (http://etherboot.org) - 00:00.0 D100 PCI2.10 PnP BBS ***@10 D100

This will tell us exactly which ROM initialization code path gPXE is
taking. This matters because gPXE tries to hook into the boot process
in several ways, depending on the BIOS.

Stefan
Jörn Rink
2010-04-01 11:19:22 UTC
Am Thu, 1 Apr 2010 12:11:40 +0100
Post by Stefan Hajnoczi
Post by Jörn Rink
After looking in the bios, i saw, that the board has gpxe
implemented!! So i decide to boot directly from gpxe.
It works, but during every boot phase, i have to press the b key, to
boot into gpxe.
The gPXE network boot should be in your boot device order. Have you
checked the BIOS to ensure that it will boot using gPXE before trying
other methods?
Can you send the first output exactly as it is printed? It should be
It is in my boot device order, it will boot, but the board told me to
press b to boot from gPXE (PCI 01:00:00)

then, when i press b, gpxe is bootet and all is fine, but i dont want
to press always the b on the keyboard.
--
Nine (not 9)
Never trust a hippie
Jörn Rink
2010-04-11 10:17:26 UTC
Am Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:19:22 +0200
Post by Jörn Rink
Am Thu, 1 Apr 2010 12:11:40 +0100
It is in my boot device order, it will boot, but the board told me to
press b to boot from gPXE (PCI 01:00:00)
then, when i press b, gpxe is bootet and all is fine, but i dont want
to press always the b on the keyboard.
I saw the prexx b on my generated gpxe image which is booted after pxe.
So it seems to be a gpxe option. In my gpxe image, the boot process is
not halted.

The intel support told me, even if gpxe is selectable, it is not
supported ;-)

So, i like to generate a new gpxe for the d510 mo and burn it into the
MB bios. Anyone here who made this in the past?
--
Nine (not 9)
Never trust a hippie
Stefan Hajnoczi
2010-04-11 17:03:43 UTC
Okay, I think I understand what is going on here.

First of all, for some reason this BIOS does not support the BIOS Boot
Specification and gPXE is falling back to hooking INT 19H. This is
unfortunate because INT 19H does not give boot device ordering control
like you'd normally expect.

Now here is the interesting part: you are running on old gPXE ROM
which asks the user to press 'B' in order to boot. This behavior was
changed in December 2008 to prompt the user to press 'N' to *skip*
booting from gPXE.

Here is the commit that changed this behavior, your gPXE ROM is built
from source code older than this commit:
http://git.etherboot.org/?p=gpxe.git;a=commitdiff;h=4d7c650164a759e3dadbcf8f83da6789165c68b7

The good news is that building an up-to-date gPXE ROM will allow
unattended boot:

http://rom-o-matic.net/gpxe/gpxe-git/gpxe.git/contrib/rom-o-matic/

Please let us know how it goes, if the hang initializing PCI devices
still occurs we can debug it with your help.

Stefan
Jörn Rink
2010-09-24 06:11:29 UTC
Am Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:17:26 +0200
hat Jörn Rink <***@freenet.de> (Jörn Rink) folgendes geschrieben:

Hi together,

this problem is solved by the newest BIOS of Intel 510MO.

Now the default behaviour, when gpxe boot is selected, is to press N
for a non gpxe boot, and nothing boots gpxe!.

Perhaps my ticket at Intel was the reason, but i do not believe this ;-)

regards,
Jörn Rink
--
Nine (not 9)
Never trust a hippie
Jörn Rink
2010-04-01 11:26:09 UTC
Am Thu, 1 Apr 2010 12:11:40 +0100
Post by Stefan Hajnoczi
The gPXE network boot should be in your boot device order. Have you
checked the BIOS to ensure that it will boot using gPXE before trying
other methods?
Can you send the first output exactly as it is printed? It should be
Hi,
it is the first, i cannot see anything, only press b, but that comes
from the bios of the d510 i think
--
Nine (not 9)
Never trust a hippie
Preston Bennes
2010-04-01 12:14:56 UTC
Try enabling the bios option "Expansion card text" or something similarly named.
Am Thu, 1 Apr 2010 12:11:40 +0100